Cleaning your teeth and flossing every day, while important, is only part of a successful routine. There are areas of the mouth that are hard to reach with a regular toothbrush and floss. Regular teeth cleanings (twice a year) by a dental hygienist are recommended to remove plaque and tartar that forms even with careful brushing and flossing.
During a professional teeth cleaning, our Boise hygienists will use a variety of tools to help deep clean your gums and the surface of your teeth. This will help prevent tooth cavities and periodontal (gum) disease.
Teeth Cleaning Procedure:
- Evaluation of gum tissue
- Oral cancer exam
- X-ray or examination to detect tooth decay
- Ultrasonic cleaner and hand instruments will loosen and remove plaque and tartar from your teeth and gums
- Tooth scaling to remove stubborn plaque and tartar from the gum line and tooth surface.
- Thorough cleaning with a rotary toothbrush
- Polish teeth
- Tooth flossing
- Fluoride application to strengthen teeth
- Provided with home care instructions
Although it is recommended that you schedule two teeth cleanings a year, additional cleanings may be recommended if you have had periodontal treatment before or have other risk factors.
5 Reasons Why You Should Get Your Teeth Cleaned
- Prevent gum disease: periodontal (gum) disease is a bacterial infection caused by plaque, the colorless sticky stuff that adheres to the surface of your teeth and gums. Over time this plaque forms into tartar, which cannot be removed by brushing and flossing. If plaque and tartar is allowed to remain, the toxins in it will begin to cause irritation and inflammation of your gums (gingivitis). This is evident when you experience bleeding after brushing or flossing. If left untreated for a long time, you may begin to loose gum tissue.
- Save your teeth: as gum disease progresses and gums erode, plaque and tartar moves further down to the root of tooth, destroying bone. Eventually teeth will come loose and fall out. Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults.
- White smile: Over time habits such as drinking coffee and smoking will stain your teeth. A teeth cleaning and bleaching from one of our dental hygienists will remove these external stains.
- Prevent bad breath
- Overall health: Gum disease not only ruins your teeth, breath and your health, it increases your risk of heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease and many other problems.
Schedule a teeth cleaning with one our skilled hygienists online today, or give us a call at (208) 322 5655.